Saturday, September 20, 2008
August's 2008 Food Adventures
I have abandoned my own blog for a long time as I was getting busy last month. A friend from Indonesia came with her whole family, beside it I have to work harder for the target of the month.

So, here are these pictures:

A close up with red velvet cupcake from The Cupcake Bakery in Paddington.


A close up with Wagyu beef burger from Bite Me in Paddington. Needless to say, the burger is not a happy looking one and too salty for me.


Attending Tetsuya Wakuda's free canapes and cooking demo at David Jones on 7th August.

I like how he made the oyster and how he teased us with his knowledge of spices. He told the audiences how easy it is to make dishes using his selection of vinegars and spices sold at David Jones. Tetsuya did told us that wasabi will not be so strong if it's mixed with other spices as he poured a small bowl full of wasabi into one of his canape's spice mixture. The audiences was so 'OOOHhhh..." when they realised that he poured too much. The canape with wasabi spice then presented to us and the wasabi did have a hit flabour but it was so surprisingly a weak, a bit mild hit.

Then he joked that the next canape is one of his best, he showed us.... FRIED CHIPS!
He asked the front audiences to try the chips before he put his spice (salt+ black truffle) and ask them to try again. It did have a big difference because of the black truffle spice on the chips.

One of the audience, a chinese man asked Tetsuya about his own fear of being cut while working in kitchen. Seem this man is not brave enough with knife. Tetsuya advised him a lot then called him to come forward and asked the man for a gold coin. After the man gave the gold coin, Tetsuya gave him a Japanese knife that belong to Tetsuya. It is a Mac Knife that Tetsuya has been advertised and worth more than AUD $400+. Tetsuya had demonstrated its sharpness by slicing a paper while the paper only been hold on one side by his left fingers. So sharp and while that man was afraid of being cut he got rewarded by sharpest knife?

See the rattan basket of paper and plastic? It got water inside and the water was boiled. Yes, it's on a new conductive stove that will not burn the pan, wok, even rattan basket and paper but only heated water and your cooking. Forget the angry bubbles when you cook milk and lift it, make the milk touched the side of hot pan and here come the hot angry bubbles on the side of the pan. This conductive stove only cook what need to be cooked without heating too much. The stove is from LG.

I was wondering why Tetsuya promoted the stove and the knife that has deep impact on these audienced instead of his own produces?

At the end of the show, I felt sympathy as Tetsuya did not telling too much of his vinegar bottles and spices that sold on David Jones. Most of the audiences asked Tetsuya regarding what he likes and his restaurant instead of his spices sold in David Jones.

I asked the MC from David Jones regarding mirin, seem she didn't have any idea what it is and even didn't not know if one of Tetsuya's spices that sold in David Jones does have mirin (it is written rice vinegar on the side of Tetsuya's bottle). Tetsuya even did not introduce this bottle of rice vinegar to answer my question, only he took the bottle later in the show for one of the canape.

At least I already tried to asisst a bit to turned audiences into one of Tetsuya's spices.

I did not armed myself my camera as I read about this free canape from Tetsuya on a newspaper left on the train on my way back home. I had to get back to the CBD to David Jones and all I have is my mobile camera. Lucky I was on time when people started queue and I got myself a seat inside.
 
posted by Lilia at 11:20 am | Permalink |


1 Comments:


At Monday, September 22, 2008 12:04:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous

I should really try that suggestion of chips and his truffle salt, it sounds amazing.

I didn't really like the Bite Me Wagyu burger either, mainly as I had had the Plan B one a week or so earlier and that was so amazing.